In honor of our newest exhibit, the Art of the Brick ®, we’ve found some interesting facts about the little building block that makes the exhibit what it is!
1. LEGO got its name when the founder, Ole Kirk Christiansen, took the first two letters of the Danish words LEG GODT, meaning “play well,” and put them together – unaware that LEGO in Latin means “I put together.”
2. Laid end to end, the number of LEGO bricks sold in a year would reach more than five times round the world.
3. The world’s children spend 5 billion hours a year playing with LEGO bricks.
4. Approximately 440 billion LEGO elements have been manufactured since 1949.
5. There are more than 50 brick colors.